No, this isn't an early Halloween mummy costume. For the past month 1/2 we've noticed Kennedy twitching her neck or what appeared to be spasms. I brushed it off for a while thinking maybe it was just small muscle spasms but as it continued I started to get more worried thinking it could be something else, something worse. I noticed it occurring more and more, probably because I was watching it and waiting for it to happen. I could always count on her having a few spasms in her high chair at meal-time right before bed, so we decided to video-tape it to show the pediatrician. We went in to see the doctor on Friday where he assessed her and watched the video we recorded. He seemed very concerned, then told me it looked like small seizures and we would need to take her in to see the pediatric neurologist at Primary Children's. We were able to (thankfully) get an appointment Monday, which still made the weekend long but we were glad we could get in so early and see what was wrong, if anything. We said lots of prayers hoping it would be nothing, but at the same time I wanted to prepare myself for the worst just in case. I googled all different kinds of neurological disorders like Infantile Spasms, epilepsy, tuberous sclerosis, and honestly the internet does nothing but scare you. Rick's an optimist, and I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to this kind of stuff, so he kept saying "She's too perfect to have anything wrong, it'll be fine." When we got to Primary Children's, we checked in and sat in the lobby waiting. I saw all kinds of kids with different neuro disorders, visible ones. It broke our hearts. We went back into an exam room and a resident physician came to assess Kennedy, asked me a bunch of questions all of which I answered "No", then the neurologist came in and did the same. He said developmentally Kennedy is completely on track, she doesn't seem to be lacking in her abilities, and then I showed him the video. He didn't seem concerned at all but set her up to get an EEG to put our minds at ease. They put 23 little leads on Kennedy's head and wrapped it tight so she couldn't yank them off (hence the mummy hat.) They left us in a dim room for a half-hour to monitor her brain waves, while they watcher her on camera too. She did one of her little spasms during the EEG which I was glad so they could see if it did anything. One of the techs came in after and did a strobe light test, which made ME really dizzy but didn't seem to bother K. :o) He said in kids who have seizures, usually the strobe will trigger them. Well it didn't to her. The neuro came back in with results, and nothing!! He said everything looked completely 100% normal and even during her "spasm," it didn't effect anything. He links her twitches to being completely behavioral, like a little funny habit she has. He said normal seizures or far more dramatic than her neck twitch and where everything came back normal he told us not to worry ANYMORE. We are so relieved and grateful for our healthy little girl. My heart truly goes out to all those parents dealing with hard things right now...I've heard of a lot lately. Bless you all.


13 comments:
yes she is the cutest patient ever! i'm glad things are ok with her. things like that are not good on parents!
oh! she's as cute as ever!! :)
Glad there is nothing wrong but things like that scare the poop out of ya!!!
She sure is a cutie. I am so glad that everything was okay. I would be a nervous wreck if that happened to my baby! I am so grateful for good doctors that know what to do.
Oh I'm SOOO glad everything is ok. I saw the pictures before I read what was going on and almost started crying! She is so freakin cute!
I'm glad she's ok. She is such a cutie! How is the pregnancy going?
Oh my heavens, I'm so sorry! That stuff is so hard on your nerves, we have been there! I'm glad everythings okay. You look so good by the way!
That's so scary, your mind just starts to think the worst possible! I'm glad everything turned out okay~
Glad to hear that she is okay!!! That would be really scary. It was scary having to do all that with Spencer, I can't imagine having to go through it all with my child.
On another note...I have always admired your strength. You have been thrown a few curve balls and continue to be so strong. I don't know if I could have been as strong as you.
Love ya and again I am glad to hear that everything is okay!
I am happy that nothing was wrong! She is adorable! You two are so blessed!
what a cute HAT! :)
My heart was just pounding as you told the story---- Glad it was a happy ending for you!!. Its so hard when you think something is wrong with your child. We had a hard time with Charlee's ear. But we think she is still perfect!
you're a sweet mom. :)
Poor little Kennedy! Glad everything is ok! She is the most adorable thing ever! Congratulations on baby #2! I never thought you'd pass me up with 2 pregnancies!! What the heck?! :) But I'm happy for you! So it looks like we are both new to the blogging, but I'm excited to keep in touch and see what is new in your guys' lives! P.S. We need to get together, it's been way too long!
SHE SURE IS CUTE! HOW TERRIBLE! I AM GLAD THAT EVERYTHING TURNED OUT OK. I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT PARENTS WHO HAV TO GO THROUGH HARD TIMES WITH THEIR LITTLE ONES. IT WOULD BREAK MY HEART TO WATCH KAIRI GO THROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THAT! IM SO THANKFUL I HAVE A HEALTHY DAUGHTER! ARE YOU GOING TO BE AT THE SUPER SATURDAY THEN?
Post a Comment